Okay, so it turns out flooding isn't the best approach for trying to like food. It was probably the least fun few minutes I have had in a long while. This picture is the ridiculously optimistic amount of cheese I had hoped to eat. Cathedral City, Grana Padano and Crumbly Lancashire. The challenge started off badly because I was all ready for it and then people came home who don't know about my eating problems, let alone the challenge, and they started saying, "Why don't you have it with crackers?" and giving me funny looks. So I had to take my plate upstairs.
So, Cathedral City. I honestly thought this would be okay as I have eaten it melted so many times. I was wrong! Believe it or not, the picture on the left is two bites. Admittedly small, but two bites nonetheless. The taste was atrocious and my anxiety about eating the other two shot up.
My boyfriend kindly recommended that I leave the Grana Padano until last, because it's like parmesan and strong. But looking at this crumbly monstrosity my heart was beating ten to the dozen and my stomach was preparing to throw it back up before it was even in my hand. So, I picked up a small amount and put it in my mouth, and it was horrible, as I expected, but no worse than the last. I managed two small fingerfuls.
So, time for the last one and my boyfriend's advice was making me think this was a bad idea. I got a Penguin (chocolate bar, not animal) ready next to me. I closed my eyes, and took the tiniest nibble (as you can see) and attempted to chew. About 2 seconds later the retching began and that Penguin was unwrapped very quickly. So, in summary, I ate three cheeses, and I kept them down. It's unlikely that any adjudicator would count the last one as a "big boy bite", but I hadn't realised just how strong it would taste. I'm feeling pretty disappointed as I genuinely thought that I would taste it and realise how silly I had been, but I guess it doesn't work that way. The next step is to do what Ricky Gervais did. He once said in an interview that he started with a tiny bit of cheese on a ritz cracker and built up from there. Probably wiser. I shouldn't be too sad though. This morning I ate a whole bowl of porridge with syrup and I almost enjoyed it, then I finished reading "As I Lay Dying" from my list, and then a few hours later I went for a run outside, which I rarely do, and didn't have any pain at all. I can't expect 25 years of dodgy thoughts about food to just vanish because I want them to and I should be pleased that I'm at least trying to vanquish them.
So there's my pitiful entry for this week's little challenge. :-)

You've done really well, often when I come to try foods I can't even bring myself to put the thing near my mouth and give up so even managing that is great :-) Trying food is never going to be easy, and I find the more I think about before hand the worse it ends up being. Trying to mask the flavour/texture of something (such as on a cracker) is a good idea as it helps get into a stronger mindset towards it. I also completely understand if people are around that don't know or understand, it's hard not to be put off by them but it doesn't matter what they think. Again well done on the porridge, that's great progress. Try not to let the cheese experience get to you too much and remember the porridge instead, this is a 10 year challenge after all, not a 10 day challenge!
ReplyDeleteWell done and good luck :-)
I must say I am very VERY impressed at how you've taken the bull by the horns on this challenge. Keep it up! I think your cheese nibbles were admirable - it's a very strong flavour and you are showing considerable strength of will and determination. Well done (small steps = best way of moving forward!)
ReplyDeleteHeather
(aka joneshs on markwatsonfans forum, aka Erin London in bloggersphere)
Thanks so much for the comments. I couldn't help but feel like I'd failed on this one but your comments have made me feel better.
ReplyDeleteIt's taken me a few days to recover believe it or not! Perhaps tonight I should get back on the horse, as it were, and eat more cheese in some form.
Experience tells me that though it's certainly very difficult, tackling it again sooner rather than later is definitely the best idea, the more you put it off the worse it is in the long run. Also there are so many different types of cheese and everyone has different preferences so try as many as you can (I appreciate that can get expensive though). Food will not defeat us!
ReplyDeleteThis is an amazing attempt, I have been trying to make myself like certain foods (and drink) for years ... including cheese! I gave up a few years ago so good for you!
ReplyDeleteOn another note, I picked up my copy of Ulysses today. The book-obsessed shop assistant's response? "I have a lot to say about this book, but mostly, it's really big"! I thought that was hilarious but I will begin reading at 7.31 tomorrow morning (train to work!) Will keep you posted!
Well done you!
ReplyDeleteI have a similar level of phobia to needles, but still have to fight the urge to be physically sick when talking about them... >_<
Hello! I arrived here via Mark's blog. Well done on your attempt. I think you did brilliantly well considering it's early days. I have a phobia of being sick, which does impact on my life a fair bit and in all kinds of way. I don't challenge it nearly as much as I should, when I'm almost certain that constant chipping away at it - even if feels unbearable in the short term - would make life better in the long run.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I thought I'd give your blog a read for a bit of inspiration.
Best of luck to you. This TYSIC lark is great. :)
Well Done! :D
ReplyDeleteWell done Amy! Although I'm a cheese fan myself, I can relate to your turmoil because I have a strong dislike of some popular foods (butter, fish, mashed potato, tea...) that I'd love to shake off too.
ReplyDeleteWell done Amy! I really like cheese, but I think Gran Padano is yukky, too strong and I certainly wouldn't have managed even a nibble of that, so you are doing so well. Keep up the good work. You are inspiring me to refocus on my own TYSIC - have lapsed a bit lately.
ReplyDelete