I've had a computer aversion for a few weeks now so no blogging and little of anything else technological. But my TYSIC to learn new skills has been going spiffingly.
After the disappointment of not being able to do the woodwork course I turned to knitting. I learnt how to do a basic knit (which I now know is Garter Stitch) a few years ago but did very little with it. A few weeks ago a took a big book out from the library and set about learning some new knitting skills.
First up was purling, which meant I could do stocking stitch, ribbed stitch and seed stitch. I was eager to actually make something with my new skills so I found the quickest project in another knitting book and created these:
So, I'd done some decreasing and I was feeling confident. Then came my first mistake. I decided to knit myself a hat for the winter but as I couldn't see a pattern I liked that I could do on 2 normal needles (as opposed to a circular needle) I made up my own pattern. I guessed the width correctly but when it came to how tall the hat should be, I consulted another pattern and evidently read the instructions wrong, as I ended up with a hat about an inch too short.
So, feeling slightly disappointed in my own foolishness, I turned back to the book to learn some new skills. First up was slipped stitch. I made a sample of a few different types:
Next up was tubular knitting. I spent a good 20 minutes trying to work out the instructions for a new Cast On, and couldn't work it out, so went for a normal one. The result is a tube, although with a closed bottom because I used the normal cast on. Mine reminded me of a little handbag so I put a strap on it. :-)
And finally, after my little successes, I decided to christen my set of double knitting needles, usually used for sock making. I had watched a video about how to do it and it looked hard so I expected little. It was very difficult but not a disaster.
So a very positive week for my learning new things TYSIC.
In other news, I went to the dentist and everything was fine despite 7 years of neglect, the insurance is sorted for the crashed car and last night my boyfriend and I spent some time really looking at properties and deciding what we want. He will be getting his first paycheck at the end of October so in November we will be badgering the bank for a mortgage and then I'll have a look at what there is to offer. It's really weird to think that if things go according to plan, we could own a house by January.

Well done on the knitting front. I only tried once or twice and got very confused so props to you for perserverance!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the mortgage thing. :)