Tuesday, 22 June 2010

Summer here kids

Hello there!

I've been very lax on the blogging front of late due to being busy. A curious phenomenon largely unexperienced in my life.

So, how is TYSIC going?

My favourite bit at the moment is my challenge to read the top 100 novels as voted for by the Modern Library. I spent a huge chunk of my life reading Ulysses so it's incredibly nice to be able to read something else. I went for Appointment in Samarra by John O'Hara - number 22 on the list. It was made nicer by the fact that it was a lovely old edition from The Modern Library themselves, due to borrowing it from John Rylands. Not so lovely was the fact that in the preface the author gives away the ending of the book. So it took away the surprise somewhat. I liked the straightforward style of writing but I'm not sure I really took to any of the characters or really enjoyed the story. I read it very quickly though so it can't have been bad.

Next up is the USA trilogy by John Dos Passos. Another John Rylands copy as we don't have it in at work and another Modern Library edition. I've read the first 50 pages so far and I'm loving it. I would like to spend the next few days doing nothing but read but I have a PhD thesis to proofread (for my boyfriend - I haven't been sneakily doing a PhD without telling anyone) and probably lots of other things that I have put to the back of my mind.

In other exciting TYSIC news, Go Ape is booked! It's one of those things that I would never be doing if it weren't for TYSIC and especially if it weren't for Emily, who very kindly said she'd come with me. I'm very rarely in dangerous situations so it'll be interesting to see how I react to very tall platforms and long zipwires.

The hot weather is not helping my running goal. I can't summon up the energy to run at all. The only running I have done recently is within the library when I'm looking for reserved books as I'm trying to cut down on paper. My short term memory is terrible so I have to keep running back to see the titles. I did walk into the village this morning though and I went on a long walk last week. I'm getting decidedly tubby though, which isn't good.

I tried some melon this week. I have tried melon before, but not properly (more a lick than a bite). It was vile. How anyone can eat that stuff is beyond me. I think I might be getting slightly better at trying new food. I had a dream where the most grotesque meal in the world was served to me at a restaurant but I didn't want to offend anyone so I ate it.

My biggest obstacle this week is going to be phoning the NHS dentist people and finding out why I haven't had a call. The phone call itself makes me anxious but it's 10 times worse because of my fear of dentists. My gums seem to be getting worse though and I really need to find out what I can do about it (I brush regularly, use mouthwash and even sometimes bother to floss but to no avail). The worst case scenario is that the person on the phone is horrible to me and says I need to be more patient. Alternatively, there might be an appointment for the next day, which seems even worse but logically isn't.

In other scary news, I have sent out posters for the library quiz night that I'm organising at work. I've invited hundreds of people and so far I have only 5 definites. Either nobody is coming or they just haven't bothered to let me know. I'm trying not to get anxious until nearer the time.

I think that's everything on the TYSIC front. I haven't had to be a responsible adult much recently, although I think the quiz thing probably fits in there because that's how I imagine proper adults - organising things at work.

Cheerio! Amy. xxx

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your update. I've done a similar 'high ropes' course to Go Ape and really enjoyed it (having a safety harness clipped on the whole time really helped).

    Good luck with the dentist (I'm in the middle of a series of appointments for filings and other work - sigh)

    And I hope the Library quiz night goes well too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the dentist honey! I haven't been for about five years as I'm too scared (a total wuss, I know).

    What type of melon was it? Watermelon might be a good one to try in the hot weather as it's mainly water (obviously) and just kind of sweet tasting - nothing too offensive. Also very refreshing on a hot sunny day :)

    Good luck with the running! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comments!

    I phoned the dentist people and they nonchalantly said I might get a place in July but maybe not.

    I think it was a gala melon. Maybe. It was yellow on the outside and green on the inside. I'm such a fruit connoisseur. :-)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's more down to Mark and that blog about things you've never done than me, though I still can't believe I posted that comment after yours. A few months ago I would never have dreamed of meeting people on the net but now I'm glad I have and it'll be fun :-)

    Hope you get the dentist sorted soon, no matter how scary it is it'll be better for you in the long run, well done for even trying to get an appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!

    Sorry to leave a comment completely unrelated to your blog; this is just a bid for help. I'm Aislinn, the one who did this: http://fuckyeahnothingmuch.blogspot.com/2010/06/another-small-attempt-to-cheer-up-mark.html - if you saw it.

    Basically, the blog is also going to become a book to give to Mark in Edinburgh with more pictures and also notes in. Sort of a bit like a miniature scrapbook.

    If you/anyone you know is up for it, you can send a picture my way via e-mail (ohmygodshaun@hotmail.co.uk), facebook (/breakforcake) or twitter (@ashy99). it'd be greeaaaatly appreciated! messages for the book are also more than welcome. thank-you!
    ash xx

    ReplyDelete